A perfectly measured team ride on the final day saw Pavel Sivakov and Tao Geoghegan Hart complete a one-two at the Tour of the Alps - the team’s last stage race as Team Sky.
Masnada stayed clear to take his second stage win of the race but he wasn't able to hold on to his early gap. Sivakov and Geoghegan Hart finished ninth and 10th on the stage, just over two minutes back, comfortably holding onto their GC positions.
This victory is our victory.
“We always had the situation under control but there was definitely times when the gap was too big and also not coming down despite us riding really hard. So that was definitely concerning. But Nico Portal was super calm and as a result so were we.
“Froomey did a huge turn and then we were also lucky to have some really nice plateaus in the climbs where I could go hard. In the end those two things made the difference I think.
“We were always checking the gap, we knew what we had to do and once we got to the last flat 8km we knew we’d done enough, so we could relax a little and just ride it home. It was good to have done what we needed with time to spare!
“I think the one-two on GC summarises Team Sky perfectly and how we ride as a team and stick to our plan no matter what. We stayed absolutely united as a unit and didn’t panic. The whole team rode absolutely superbly today, and all week. It was a really great performance for our last ever stage race as Team Sky.”
1. Pavel Sivakov (Sky) 18:58:00
2. Tao Geoghegan Hart (Sky) +0:27"
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) +0:33"
Stage five result
1. Fausto Masnada (Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec) 4:02:06
2. Carlos Quintero (Manzana Postobon) +0:07"
3. Simone Velasco (Neri Sottoli - Selle Italia - KTM) +1:31"
4. Dario Cataldo (Astana) s.t.
5. Roland Thalmann (Team Vorarlberg Santic) +1:33"
9. Tao Geoghegan Hart (Sky) +2:14"
10. Pavel Sivakov (Sky) s.t.